Tips for Wine Storage
Wine is a delicate beverage that requires proper storage to maintain its quality. It's important to understand that wine is a living product and it is affected by temperature, light, humidity and vibrations. Improper storage can cause the wine to spoil or lose its intended flavor profile. Here are some tips on how to store wine:
- Keep wine in a cool, dark place. The ideal temperature for storing wine is between 50 and 59 degrees Fahrenheit. Exposure to light and heat can cause the wine to deteriorate, so it's best to keep it in a closet or a wine cellar. The temperature should be consistent and not fluctuate too much, otherwise it can cause the wine to expand and contract, which can push air into the bottle and spoil the wine.
- Store wine on its side. This keeps the cork moist and prevents air from entering the bottle, which can cause the wine to spoil. When the cork is dry, it can allow air to enter the bottle, which can cause the wine to oxidize, turning it into vinegar. By storing the bottle on its side, the wine will keep the cork moist, which will prevent air from entering the bottle and preserve the wine's taste and aroma.
- Avoid vibration. Vibration can cause sediment to form in the wine, so it's best to keep it in a stable location, away from appliances like washing machines and dryers. Vibration can also cause the wine to become cloudy and affect the taste. It's best to store wine in a location that is free from vibrations, such as in a basement or wine cellar.
- Use a wine rack or wine fridge. Wine racks and wine fridges are designed specifically for storing wine and can help you maintain the proper storage conditions. Wine fridges are designed to keep the temperature and humidity at the ideal level for storing wine. Some wine fridges also have a feature that allows you to set different temperatures for different types of wine. Wine racks are also a great option to store your wine collection, they keep the bottles on their sides and in an orderly fashion.
- Keep your collection organized. Keeping track of your wine collection is important so you can be aware of what you have and when to drink it. It's also important to know the recommended storage and drinking guidelines for each wine, so you can plan accordingly. Some wines are meant to be aged, while others should be consumed within a year or two of purchase.
- Invest in a wine preservation system. If you plan on keeping wine for a longer period of time, a wine preservation system can help extend the life of the wine by removing the air from the bottle. These systems work by pumping out the air from the bottle and replacing it with inert gas. This prevents the wine from oxidizing and keeps it fresh for a longer period of time. And of course as you know QelviQ will keep your wine at the correct temperature until you are ready for your next glass!
In conclusion, storing wine properly can make a huge difference in the taste and quality of the wine. By following these tips, you can ensure that your wine will be stored in the best possible conditions, and will be ready to enjoy when the time comes. Remember to keep your collection organized, and consult the bottle or the winery's website for recommended storage and drinking guidelines. With the proper care and attention, your wine will be stored to perfection, and will be a delight to drink.
Wine lover? Want to learn even more? Download your FREE 64 page e-book!
"Hi l am Wim, sommelier, and wine enthusiast just like you! My fellow sommeliers understand the importance of serving wine at the correct temperature. They know that if wine is too warm, it will lose its flavors and complexities, and if wine is served too cold, it will numb your taste buds. A few world renown sommeliers and myself will explain this further, and share some interesting (taste) case studies."